Perhaps we should start by redeeming the word, “ambitious.” While today’s version of ambition probably includes a focus on power or wealth or fame, the simple target I am after is, “a strong desire to get something done.” There is nothing wrong with being ambitious, if the ambition glorifies God. There is much wrong with a lack of ambition, with slothfulness, laziness or passionless leadership.
Ambitious leaders are not content with just waiting out the virus. They are not comfortable on “pause” while scientists and politicians seek for answers. These types of leaders realize that regardless of Covid-19, time is wasting if we fail to move forward. Who knows how long this mess will last? We can’t afford to be stuck that long.
So, considering a passion to do something great for God, how does one go about this while facing an unprecedented pandemic? Is it even reasonable to consider making progress, moving forward, gaining ground?
Yes! It is reasonable, logical and very necessary!
Here are a few ideas on how leaders can lead with godly ambition in the middle of an unprecedented pandemic.
- Try something new. Rather than sitting idle, or doing what we’ve always done, this is the perfect time to experiment. Most of us have entertained thoughts of a radical approach to leadership, a new concept or practice. Why not experiment? Go ahead, give it a shot.
- Create something new. Unmet needs abound. Many people are struggling, unsure, insecure, This is the opportune time to express care and compassion for the hurting.
- Address a dysfunction, right a wrong, solve a problem. Most leaders are too busy to deal with every crisis that arises. Since there is some level of inactivity, today is a great day to take on a tough project. Find your biggest organizational problem – and solve it!
- Plan for the future. Many leaders are just hanging on to see what the future brings them. Don’t fall for that trap! Regardless of how this pandemic turns out, people will need hope. Folks will be desperate for solutions. Guess what… you have the answer. Get ready to share it!
- Be a visionary. Reactive leaders are being left in the quake of the pandemic. Think ahead. Plan ahead. Pray ahead.
This is the day for prophetic leaders. The Holy Spirit is available for us as we lead. He will lead us and guide us into all truth.
2020 is the absolute best opportunity for godly leaders in our generation to lead. People don’t know what to do, but God knows what to do.
My plan is to dig deep. I want to be appropriately aggressive. Start new things and end old things that are not working. Try harder. Pray more. Acquire new godly ambition. Leave it all on the field. I don’t want to miss this opportunity. I don’t want to use a pandemic as an excuse for doing nothing.
How about you?